Join Our Team
At Hum Law we have a very simple goal – to be one of the leading employment law firms in Canada. Our strength is the direct result of the outstanding service and effectiveness of our lawyers and staff. We are committed to providing legal services within a workplace environment rich in perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We focus on this goal in everything we do.
WE KNOW BUSINESS, WE KNOW THE INDUSTRIES WE SUPPORT AND WE KNOW EMPLOYMENT LAW.
We seek enthusiastic and supportive colleagues who will help to further our reputation as one of the very best providers of legal services. We are looking for those who will strive with us to reach the highest levels of individual and professional achievement.
If you are interested in being a member of an entrepreneurial service-oriented team and you enjoy a fast paced but collegial work environment, we’d like to hear from you.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Hum Law is committed to the promotion of diversity and inclusion at our firm and in the legal profession.
We are always seeking skilled professionals to join our team.
Interested applicants, please submit a cover letter and resume to the managing partner, Lai-King Hum.
Senior Associate or Counsel, Employment Law
HUM Law is looking to hire a motivated Senior Associate or Counsel to join our diverse and growing team based in Toronto. This lawyer will have at least 5 years of experience in providing expert legal advice on various employment law matters to both employers and employees, and in litigation and the development of legal strategies.
With a focus on successful client outcomes, HUM Law sets a high standard with its client relationships. The successful candidate will be looking for career growth in a dynamic small firm whose principal, Lai King Hum, brings a passion for her clients and the law. You will gain experience with a wide variety of clients and contribute to the continuing success of the firm. You will both be delegated work assisting the principal of the firm, and be expected to manage and bring in files to work on independently. Powered by mutual respect and excellence, the HUM Law team members carry with them the motto: Employment law is the expression of our shared values of prosperity, respect and equal opportunity.
The Senior Associate or Counsel we want values excellence, quality and conscientiousness in the practice of law. Even though we are not a social justice firm, the members of our team also value social justice issues and contribute each in our way. The Senior Associate or Counsel should also value independent work while also being a loyal part of a team and contributing to the development of the team. We understand the challenges that professionals currently face and are prepared to be flexible from salary structure to working environment. With daily virtual team meetings, and virtual team meals and “just because” family meals delivered to team members for enjoyment at home, HUM Law strives to maintain a collegial, caring and inclusive workplace culture – particularly as attendance at our physical offices is optional, or “as needed”, for now.
The candidate should have the following minimum qualifications:
- Licensed as a lawyer by the Law Society of Ontario
- 5 or more years of employment / labour law experience with demonstrated understanding of more complex legal issues
- Advocacy skills, both written and oral, mainly on wrongful dismissal claims and human rights applications, though general litigation or administrative law advocacy will be considered
- Excellent English language skills, both written and oral, with French language skills, or additional languages, an asset
In addition to the minimum qualifications and sharing the values of the firm, the successful candidate should also be able to:
- Consistently deliver quality work product efficiently, including drafting demand letters, settlement documentation, pleadings, motions, affidavits, and other legal documents within tight timelines
- Conduct or direct research and draft opinions or reports
- Supervise and review the work of less experienced team members, as delegated by the principal
- Understand client needs and key issues, using sound judgement to assess client risks and create successful strategies
- Communicate legal strategies and litigation updates clearly and concisely, both internally working with the team, and with clients
- Proactively manage files confidently and independently (currently through electronic documents and virtual channels), with minimal support
- Participate in business development and marketing initiatives
- Ability to conduct workplace investigations would be an asset
Note: At HUM Law, we have adopted a work from home policy during COVID-19, where attendance at the office is optional or on an “as needed” basis. Strict COVID-19 safety protocols and measures have been adopted for all office attendances.
Please email your resume and contact information to email@example.com